MacDuff's Soap Company Aftershave- Dark Sky Preserve
Notes: Lavender Blend, Evergreen Blend, Tree Moss Blend, Benzoin, Bergamot
A dark sky preserve seeks to severely limit sources of artificial light to allow for better views of our night sky. Not only is this important for astronomy and general stargazing, but the night sky has important ties to history including mythology, navigation, philosophy and art. Alberta has four main dark sky preserves, including one nearby my home in Edmonton and in Jasper National Park in the Rocky Mountains.
The scent behind Dark Sky Preserve is an upscaled version of my popular "Lavender + Spruce" products found in their skincare lineup. DSP features a lavender blend including "fine" lavender from France, grown at high altitudes and is a softer and sweeter version of lavender with a somewhat "citrusy" top note. Other lavenders featured are from Greece, Bulgaria, South Africa and the deep, rich lavender absolute to help extend the notes. Since spruce essential oil doesn't hold up well in soapmaking, Sean added in some fir needle essential oil and absolute as well as some evergreen fragrance to ensure the evergreen notes are present in the soap. Benzoin helps support the dry down, which is given interest with a touch of my tree moss blend of oak moss, pine moss and cedar moss.
Given the nature of essential oils, this scent will be somewhat lighter than other MSC scents.
About Their Splash
- Alcohol free witch hazel and aloe vera based splash
- Organic Jojoba oil and glycerine help the skin retain moisture (emollient).
- Uses Olivem, which is a water-soluble fat with sebum recovering activities (sebum is the oily, waxy substance produced by your body’s sebaceous glands). Olivem has strong emolliency and lubricant properties that offers a distinctive skin smoothness and long-term moisturizing effects.
- DL-Panthenol, or Vitamin B5 is used to rehydrate dry, damaged skin
- Hydrolyzed Oat Protein* and silk peptides enhance the moisturizing properties of their splash and imparts a velvet-like smoothness after drying.
- Allantoin is widely used in cosmetic, dermatological and pharmaceutical formulations for its soothing and anti-irritating properties. Allantoin stimulates healthy, normal tissue formation even at low concentrations.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract and Vitamin E are antioxidants that extend the life of their splash, but also have beneficial moisturizing properties.
- White Willow Bark is an astringent.
- All of their fragrance oils are paraben and phthalate free.
- As this is a water based product, they must use preservative to keep their aftershave splash free from bacteria and mould.
*The manufacturer states that the product is gluten free however because it is made from the proprietary hydrolysis of oats, there may be traces of gluten remaining. The manufacturer has tested several lots and all contained less than 20ppm gluten.
Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerine, Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters (Ecocert Emulsifier), Organic Jojoba, Preservative (Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate), White Willow Bark, Sodium Lactate, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Silk, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Vitamin E, Allantoin, Vitamin B5 (DL-Panthenol), Paraben + Phthalate Free Fragrance Oil, Essential Oils
Made in Canada